All of us at Experience Cortland are proud to call this beautiful place home. Like you, we love and appreciate its beautiful rolling hills, historical treasures, family attractions and the vibrant art and theater scene. We can't wait to welcome you back to explore and enjoy Cortland County when you feel the time is right.
Cortland County is closely monitoring the evolving situation around the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and staying in contact with federal, state and local public health authorities. We’re committed to providing accurate, up-to-date information to help you stay safe while traveling and during your visit. Here’s what you need to know:
Reopening Cortland County
- UPDATE - Effective June 26, 2020, Cortland County moved to Phase Four. More detailed information can be found on New York Forward guidelines on the Official New York State website, including general guidelines and best practices for all types of businesses, as well as additional resources related to COVID-19.
- In response to increased rates of COVID-19 transmission in certain states within the United States, and to protect New York's successful containment of COVID-19, the State has joined with New Jersey and Connecticut in jointly issues a travel advisory for anyone returning from travel to states that have a significant degree of community-wide spread of COVID-19.
- UPDATED AUGUST 11, 2020: Based upon Governor Cuomo's Executive Order 205, issued June 25, 2020, the following states meet the criteria for required quarantine:
Alabama Montana Arkansas Nebraska Arizona North Carolina California North Dakota Florida Nevada Georgia Oklahoma Hawaii Puerto Rico Indiana South Carolina Illinois South Dakota Indiana Tennessee Iowa Texas Idaho Utah Kansas Virginia Kentucky Virgin Islands Louisiana Washington Maryland Washington Minnesota Mississippi Missouri
- Beginning Tuesday, July 14th, a travel enforcement operation will commence at airports statewide to help ensure travelers coming into New York are following the state’s quarantine requirements.
- More information about the travel advisory and a guide for travel can be found here. You can also find a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding quarantine restrictions on travelers arriving in New York State following out of state travel here.
Healthy Travel Tips
- Drive-thru testing is available at Guthrie Cortland Medical Center at 143 Homer Ave., Cortland, NY 13045, Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm and Saturday from 8am-2pm. Those exhibiting symptoms or who feel they have been exposed to COVID-19 should call Guthrie at (607) 299-7676 to be screened and pre-registered. Patients will then receive an appointment for testing.
- We ask that our visitors and locals alike follow established health and safety recommendations:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before you eat.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people; do not shake hands.
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
- Wear a face mask or cloth face covering that covers your nose and mouth when in public and/or when 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Cover your cough and sneezes with a tissue and discard it in a closed container.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- If you are sick, please stay home. Anyone at high risk for complications should talk to their healthcare provider for more information.
Restaurants, Beverages & Farmers Markets
- UPDATE - Effective July 17, 2020: The Governor has announced that all restaurants and bars statewide will be subject to new requirements that they must only serve alcohol to people who are ordering and eating food and that all service at bar tops must only be for seated patrons who are socially distanced by six feet or separated by physical barriers. Under current law, only establishments that serve food are permitted to serve alcoholic beverages. Click here for the complete list of requirements.
- Restaurants, bars, and breweries are allowed to offer outdoor seating, as well as limited dine-in services starting June 26.
- Delivery and carryout services are also available.
- Explore Cortland County restaurants open for delivery/takeout, outdoor dining and indoor seating.
- The Cortland City Farmers Market and Virgil Farmers Market, as well as farm stands and seasonal u-pick farms are open to public. Please follow all social distancing guidelines.
Attractions and Events
- Many Cortland County attractions are beginning limited and phased reopenings. Check each individual listing on the Experience Cortland website to see what is open and if there are any restrictions.
- The increased effort to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus has meant the cancellation of many signature Cortland County events. Click here for a list of Cortland County events that have been canceled or rescheduled, and to find out how you can continue to support these events.
- All attractions and events are subject to changes and closures. We strongly recommend confirming the status of attractions and upcoming events by reaching out directly to the attraction, or venue, or ticket provider before proceeding.
- Please check with individual hotels for information about availability.
- The Cortland County Legislature shares local updates, and tips to help minimize risk.
- The State of New York shares daily state-wide updates and advice.
- The U.S. Travel Association offers healthy travel practices and guidance for travelers.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention features the latest global updates, health and travel information and guidance for large gatherings.
- The World Health Organization offers advice, reports and updates on the outbreak.
The Cortland County Official Visitors Guide is the gateway to more information about the county's unique outdoor, historical and cultural experiences. We hope you can use this magazine for inspiration to plan your next trip when the time is right for you. Get a copy mailed directly to your door, or download an online interactive version.
Stay connected with Experience Cortland! Download the Experience Cortland App or choose your favorite social media channel (or all of them) to stay up-to-date on all the latest news in the county. Check out the latest photos, events and spotlights highlighting our tourism partners.
SOCIAL DISTANCING ACTIVITIES
While we all practice social-distancing, Experience Cortland wants residents and travelers to continue to daydream, feel optimistic and be connected. Here’s a fun list of great activities to safely enjoy with friends and family - and when the world is ready to travel again, we’re here to welcome you.
It's Puzzle Time in Cortland County
Stuck at home with some time on your hands? We have an activity that can pass by the time, take your mind off your troubles and even bring the family together for a few moments.
The Experience Cortland team has put together a variety of virtual jigsaw puzzles for you to piece together. The puzzles were created of photos of county festivals including the Cortland Airfest, Holiday in Homer, Dairy Parade and more!
Cortland County Virtual Backgrounds for Zoom
Whether you're meeting with coworkers or having a virtual happy hour with friends, Zoom videos are the perfect way for all of us to stay connected during this time. But don't let being behind a computer screen limit your Cortland County experience! Host a meeting with a waterfall behind you, standing outside a 19th-century 'castle', or talk to your family with beautiful fall foliage in the background.
Experience Cortland Coloring Pages
Running out of activities to keep the kiddos entertained? Looking for an adult stress-reliever that doesn't involve a glass of wine? Dust off those markers and crayons, and enjoy some stress-reducing coloring! Click on any of the images below for a printable PDF coloring page of Cortland County festival moments, scenic spots and more.
Check Out these Beautiful Photos of Cortland County
Looking for a few minutes of distraction between frequent hand washings? Want to step away from your Twitter feed? Sit back and enjoy these 20 beautiful photos from Cortland County, taken by locals and tourists to not only inspire your next trip, but to hopefully provide a moment of distraction.
Take a Virtual Hike of Cortland County from the Comfort of Your Home
If you're unable to step outside to breath in some fresh air, or maybe the weather isn't cooperating during this time of self-quarantine, we have a solution for you. Take a hike in the comfort of your home!
Experience Cortland Social Distancing Bingo
Here at the Cortland County Convention & Visitors Bureau, everyone's safety is our top priority, but we also want to make sure you don't go entirely stir crazy. That's why we've put together Experience Cortland Bingo: Social Distancing Edition. You can support the local community and have some fun all while adhering to the recommended six feet of social distance.
CORTLAND COUNTY TRAVEL INSPIRATION
Panoramic views of the rolling hills and sunsets. Family discoveries and outdoor adventure. Mind-opening museum exhibits. Exciting local musical acts and nationally-recognized theatre. Amazing culinary delights and seasonal brews. These are all the wonderful things to dream about and plan for when it's time to start traveling to again. We can't wait to welcome you back to Cortland County!
Here are some ways to start dreaming about your next trip to Cortland County: