All of us at Experience Cortland are proud to call this beautiful place home. Like you, we love and appreciate its beautiful rolling hills, historical treasures, family attractions, and the vibrant art and theater scene. We welcome you to come to explore Cortland County while keeping a few statewide mandates and safety suggestions in mind.
Cortland County is closely monitoring the evolving situation around the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and staying in contact with federal, state, and local public health authorities. We’re committed to providing accurate, up-to-date information to help you stay safe while traveling and during your visit. Here’s what you need to know:
State Wide Mask Mandate
December 10, 2021, Governor Kathy Hochul announced masks will be required to be worn in all indoor public places unless businesses or venues implement a vaccine requirement. This major action to address the winter surge comes as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations rise statewide and are in alignment with the CDC's recommendations for communities with substantial and high transmission. The State Health Commissioner issued a determination solidifying the requirement.
More detailed information can be found on New York Forward guidelines on the Official New York State website, including general guidelines and best practices for all types of businesses, as well as additional resources related to COVID-19.
Visitors Center Mask Mandate
We are excited to welcome you back! To keep all of us safe, we ask that you practice patience and respect for everyone's safety while visiting our community. Social distancing (at least 6 feet/2 meters) between other parties and your hosts is still considered an appropriate courtesy. For the safety of our community along with all visitors, everyone is expected to still adhere to public safety guidelines including mask-wearing, social distancing, daily symptom monitoring for anyone unvaccinated.
New York state, and the Cortland County Visitors Center, is following CDC guidance on mask-wearing and social distancing: Masks are required to be worn inside the Visitors Center. Please be sure to carry a mask as you may be required to wear it at individual venues and businesses, and it is still required on all forms of public transportation. This measure is effective from Dec. 13, 2021, until Jan. 15, 2022, after which the state will re-evaluate based on current conditions.
Healthy Travel Tips
- Those exhibiting symptoms or who feel they have been exposed to COVID-19 should call Guthrie at (607) 299-7676 to be screened and pre-registered. Patients will then receive an appointment for testing.
- We ask that our visitors and locals alike follow established health and safety recommendations:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before you eat.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people; do not shake hands.
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
- Wear a face mask or cloth face covering that covers your nose and mouth when in public and/or when 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Cover your cough and sneezes with a tissue and discard it in a closed container.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- If you are sick, please stay home. Anyone at high risk for complications should talk to their healthcare provider for more information.
Restaurants, Bars and Breweries
- Unless implementing a vaccine requirement, all restaurants, bars, and breweries will require mask-wearing while moving through the establishment, and not seated at your table.
- Currently, restaurants, bars, and breweries are allowed to offer outdoor seating, as well as dine-in services.
- Delivery and carryout services are also available.
- Explore Cortland County restaurants open for delivery/takeout, outdoor dining, and indoor seating.
Attractions and Events
- You may find some Cortland County events are being canceled and/or rescheduled.
- All attractions and events are subject to changes and closures. We strongly recommend confirming the status of attractions and upcoming events by reaching out directly to the attraction, or venue, or ticket provider before proceeding.
- Please check with individual hotels for information about availability.
- The Cortland County Legislature shares local updates, and tips to help minimize risk.
- The State of New York shares daily state-wide updates and advice.
- The U.S. Travel Association offers healthy travel practices and guidance for travelers.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention features the latest global updates, health and travel information, and guidance for large gatherings.
- The World Health Organization offers advice, reports, and updates on the outbreak.