The Cortland County Visitors Center welcomes back their monthly, indoor farmers market, designed to fill your dinner plate. Small but mighty, this winter market is sure to have everything you need for the perfect meal. Carefully curated with a selection of makers and farmers, local to Cortland County; the upcoming month you'll find fresh pork, roasting chickens, potatoes, squash, winter greens, pickles and sauces, and fresh baked goods for dessert. Each month thru April, we'll publish a recipe, created with that month's farmers market selection in mind.
This month we'd like to extend a warm welcome to New Visions Environmental Science Class. Students have been working hard this semester tapping, harvesting, boiling, and packaging maple syrup, produce at Lime Hollow Nature Center. They've also created their own homemade, natural charcoal- perfect for grilling on those warm spring days.
Check back here for updated vendor list and meal ideas throughout the winter.
Cortland County Visitors Center
42 Main St, Downtown Cortland
First Fridays, 12- 3 p.m.
WHO WILL BE THERE
Main Street Farms: large selection of winter produce including; root vegetables, winter squashes, and greens.
Daisy Hollow Farm: homemade granola, eggs, pork, chicken, and natural skincare items.
Baked by Amanda: signature macrons, cocoa bombs, and cookies.
Food & Ferments: pickled veggies, kombucha, kimchi, and tonics.
Beacon Peak LLC: Chelsea Horak, CCVB artist of the month
New Visions Environmental Science Class: handmade natural charcoal and maple, produced by students at Lime Hollow
Farmer's Market Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 cup Kimchi
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 fresh eggs
- 3 cups cooked rice (day old is best)
- 1 tbs. fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 tbs. gochujang paste
- Soy sauce to taste
- Dried Nori seaweed with sesame for garnish
- 2 tbs. oil for cooking ( sesame oil is best)
- Prep all your produce. This recipe comes together quickly.
- Add oil to the pan, on medium heat. Toss in onions, garlic, and green onion when hot. Sautee until just translucent.
- Now add carrots and cabbage and cook till wilted.
- Mix in chopped kimchi and ginger, stirring until warmed through.
- Add in gochujang paste and rice and sauté till golden, splash in soy to taste.
- In a separate pan, fry an egg, sunny side up.
- Fill a bowl with kimchi fried rice, top with a fried egg, and garnish with Nori crumbles and sesame seed.
- Dig In!
Share your farmer's market finds and cooking adventures with us for a chance to be featured!
Tag @experiencecortland and use hashtag #experiencecortland.